Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Knee Deep



I recently saw the last 2/3rds of this film (check out the website here) as I was flipping through the channels and it came up on Independent Lens on PBS. I decided to give it a minute or two before flipping back to NHL Network and I was drawn in pretty quickly - largely due to the interesting look at life on a dairy farm. I started watching during a sequence in which a young boy was followed as he did his chores on the farm, and was amazed at how much he had to do and how seriously he took his job.

The film centers around the story of a dispute over a family dairy farm in Maine, culminating with a son who felt betrayed (or his girlfriend.. there is some question as to who the real culprit is) who ultimately shoots, yet doesn't kill, his mother.

I really liked the way this film was shot, and I particularly like how it was constructed. While it deals with a serious subject matter, the story takes so many twists and turns that the directors ultimately decide to give what might be described as an overall air of whimsy to the final piece, largely through the music used.

I'd definitely recommend Knee Deep - it was a fun watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment